Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 7 – 365 What!

I once tried standing up on my toes to see far out in the distance, but I found that I could see much farther by climbing to a high place. - Xun Zi

Window of the Day - Lemons and Sun

Well the work day came to an end and after a few administrative things that needed my attention, I was ready for an adventure.  Off to the train station and for about 4 Euros for a round trip ticket, I was headed to Corniglia.  It is one of the 5 towns of Cinque Terre, and the only one that cannot be reached by boat.  Hence the train, but before I departed the hotel I queried the front desk what I thought was a simple question.  “Is there a long walk from the train station to town or does it go right into Corniglia?”, I asked.  It goes right to the town was the response and it was correct.  Albeit it was 365 steps straight up!

Before we do that climb let me take a second and expand on the train. 
The train ride is very short, less than 30 minutes, with stops in Riomaggiore and Manarola.  What is amazing about the ride is that 90% of it is through the mountains.  No daylight.  Just one long tunnel!  When you reach Corniglia and step off the train, Manarola glows in the distance bathed in the setting sun.


To my surprise... Ahh at last a sign in English!  Yes I am going to walk the steps, not take the 1.50 Euro bus.  10 yards to left of the sign I found the steps for my advertised 15 minute walk, and I began to climb.


After about 50 steps I realized that this is not the path mentioned on the sign.  The light came on when I met a local man shaking his head.  I turned 180 degrees and back down where I had begun to begin my search of the RIGHT steps.

So I followed the path and found the 365 steps and up I went, a little bit slower than the boy in front of me, but remembr I had already had done 50 steps!  That is my story and I am sticking to it!


Once you reached the last flight of steps you are greeted by a statue of Our Lady of “Hot Damn I Made It”, the patron saint of fools who walk. She welcomes you to the village of Corniglia, while an old man sits on a bench spending his day getting enjoyment from watching the tourist sweat after their ascent.  Check that off the 1000 places to see!


With your goal achieved, I think you will find the small town of Corniglia a little on touristy side - but hey that is what we are.  Wandering small alley streets, one can catch some great sea views, lush flowers, and stone work that is very impressive. 

Following my tradition of remembering my father and uncle, and now I have added Bain, I light a candle wherever I go in their memory.  In this small fishing chapel may this light burn through this Holy season of Easter.


I am now in my 33rd year of marriage, and if you told my wife that the picture below was my dinner she would probably call you a liar.  I will tell everyone when you visit Italy (or Greece) eat a tomato.  We in the states had to pass a law to classify a tomato as a vegetable not a fruit.  I am going with a fruit!  They are RED, not Food Lion orange, and have zero acidity.  AMAZING! 


I could not leave this town without splurging and having a glass of Sciacchetrà, that golden nectar of bliss.  Corniglia is in the center of the area where this dessert wine is made.  I was in search of the best, but could not find anyone that would sell it by the glass.  The regular stuff, which is offered, sells for 35-40 Euros for a 350ml bottle.  The good stuff pushes the 100 Euro mark.  You cannot buy this in the US and believe me it is worth a try.  A glass will run you 5 Euros and will come with a small plate of sweet bread to accompany this honey. You will never say again – “I do not like sweet wine”.

So that was my evening!  Tomorrow will be laundry day, and I know each of you will be waiting on the edge of your seat waiting on drying times… 

Oh yeah!  Today we also solved a mystery!  If a parking space is painted with yellow lines only public vehicles (police, bus, public works etc…) can park.  Blue lines are private spots that belong to someone – no parking unless you are that someone. The blue spots can also be paid parking if you can find the toll box. 

White lines are fair game for everybody!  
We were also told there are no white lines in La Spezia.

The only thing bad about this day was this was not me sitting with my sweetie...  Just a few more days!




Ciao



No comments:

Post a Comment