Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 2 - Let the experience begin!

“You begin to experience life when you step out of your comfort zone” – Somebody smarter than me

                              The window of the day

So you think you will be able to communicate in La Spezia with your native tongue - English?   Wrong! 

I highly recommend you practice your please and thank you in Italian and remember never lose your smile.  This is not a tourist town.  What a day!

Ok – work began for me today and it went well.  It is so nice to work with folks that really care about learning.  Enough about work! 

Except for lunch.

Lunch was amazing!  Today, and me being a Friday fish eater, (the Catholic tradition) I entered into the cafeteria line not knowing what to expect.  So  what is for lunch... I had wonderful a fresh salad, fried cheese from heaven, and a pasta seafood dish that I can honestly say when I finished the only words were – Life IS good! 

Since we had a short day I thought it wise to walk back to the hotel (Lunch played into my thought process).  It is a very easy one hour stroll.  The first 15 minutes are pretty ugly as you transit the industrial side of the city, but after that I truly enjoyed taking it all in as I headed to my temporary home.

Upon my return, I grabbed my camera and back into the fresh air and the smells of the sea.


Friday is also the clothes market day – Husbands be aware!  Basically it is 10 blocks of hell!  Shoes, table cloths, and the latest of whatever you know she needs or wants is reduced to a deal that she must have!  Simply put – Saving money going broke!

For me I was in search of food and wine – you know the truly IMPORTANT stuff!  I walked into a store and realized I had found high blood pressure heaven

The lady butcher was very friendly and we exchanged smiles as we chatted about ham and cheese….  Hands only and pointing

In my afternoon wanderings, I found the tourist bureau.  I have lots of great maps, bus schedules, what to do when… Oh my sweetie will be so proud of me.


After of day of walking it was time to go in search of an Enoteca (wine bar)
Guess What  - I found one!  Off a backstreet, this small hole in the wall introduced me to liquid that can only be tasted not described - Sciacchetrà (pronounced "shack-eh-trà”).  Served with sweet bread I must say this liquid gold just blew me away.


The barkeep was so happy that I was willing to talk with my hands and  with a little Spanish the food and wine kept appearing. I had left the comfort zone and life had begun.  2 hours of antipasti, cheese from Sardinia to La Spezia, wines from Liguria and 3 or 4 new friends and taste of liquid gold - I departed for a lot less than a cab ride the night before.

You know what I do not like about Italy – It is now 9 pm and I have to go find dinner!  Nothing opens until 7:30.

Caio

No comments:

Post a Comment