Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 10 – The Arrival

I'm lucky, I can sleep from takeoff until we land; so I'm fresh, rested and ready to work on arrival - Eva Herzigova

I have confirmed the tower does lean 

Well my wife and friends arrived safe and sound after the long night flight across the pond.  Transfer went well in Paris, and after a short delay to change one of the wheels on the airplane they arrived in Pisa just a few minutes late.  Since I had a few extra minutes I walked from the Pisa Train Station to famous leaning tower.  Then I caught a taxi back to the airport so I would be there when they arrived. 

Another good thing about Italy… You can kiss and hug and nobody screams get a room!  Three weary travelers were ready to start their vacation.  Since I had been up to the tower already, I warned them it was a zoo.  This being a holiday weekend, with all the folks in town for the John Paul’s big day - Pisa was crowded (DC on the 4th of July crowded).  So I recommended, and it was accepted by the group, that we just grab a cab see the tower and then ride back train station.  Everything worked as planned and we arrived back at train station in time to catch the next La Spezia train with  just few minutes of dead time.  Life is good!????  No it wasn’t - life turned bad.

It was on the platform when my friend reached for his wallet... it was gone.  Yep when we got out of the cab we both noticed lots what I would term as: “gypsies”.  We do not know for sure, but the Italian police were pretty sure, that the wallet disappeared between the taxi stand the train station.  That is about a 50 yard walk.  The police told us there were problems with small children who are very good and taking wallets.  My friend did remember two young girls following him.  We do not know what happened, but since the police seemed concerned I pass that warning along those who follow us. 

One hint: I would recommended if you are traveling with your sweetie or a friend, make sure that your credit cards have different numbers.  Hence you can cancel one and continue on with your vacation.  Kudos to the Italian police for being helpful, the staff at My One here in La Spezia that worked with the taxi company in Pisa.  And it appears the credit card company will be express delivering a new card.

Tomorrow is Easter and we plan to go to Genoa and participate in their Easter Festival.

Everybody has gone to bed to try to catch two nights of sleep in one...  So I close - Happy Easter to All!
And Special Happy Birthday Kiss for Mom. 

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment