Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 4 - The Bells are calling

We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.  
- John F. Kennedy

Mark this day - I quoted JFK...


Window of the day - Spring is Here

I awoke this morning to the sounds of church bells.  My plan was to head to Parma, but the ringing sound kept saying Palm Sunday.  So Mass it was, and what a treat!  The Cardinal of Liguria said the Mass in the old Cathedral – Pretty Special!

With no way to make it to Parma and back with anytime to enjoy the city, I opted to go to the beach.  The sun was very warm, but a light sweater is still required early morning and once again late afternoon.  Lerici and San Terenzo was my destination.  Just like going to work, one can catch the L or S bus.  The L ends in Lerici, but the S bus goes on to the next town. I jumped off in San Terenzo (the stop before Lerici) and slowly walked to Lerici. 


I paused to sit on the beach or the rocks along the way.   I was amazed how many folks were in the water.  However most were just soaking up the sun.

Once in Lerici, I walked to the castle, but was confronted with a choice.  Enter a tunnel which is cool and runs under the mountain, or climb a bunch of steps to a castle that was not open.  Hmmmmm…. Yep the tunnel was the correct answer. 


After walking in the cool subterranean passage, I popped out in a secluded cove.  And to my surprise there was a restaurant built into the side of the mountain.   I heard the lunch bell ringing in my stomach.   A very good decision!


After lunch I explored Lerici and wandered down back alleys.  The town square is a little touristy, but enjoyable.  It is definitely a place all should donate an afternoon to visit.

I returned to La Spezia on the bus, which I would call the ride from hell.  However riding the bus is easy and cheap, and no one should be concerned about jumping on the public transportation.

Here is my day in pictures - click on the link to see more shots of the day
I think the images will be better.

So my bald forehead is sunburned and it is time to turn in...

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment